This air fryer coconut shrimp recipe has to be one of the best appetizers I have made. It is like having your favorite summer menu items at home except made in under 20 minutes with only 6 ingredients (including spices!). This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Whenever I see coconut shrimp on the menu at a restaurant, my eyes are automatically drawn to it. I mean the combination of shrimp, coconut, a little spice and a dip into the sweet chili sauce? Unbeatable to say the least. Since it is made in the air fryer, it gets the most perfect crisp without all the excess oil. And with the super bowl is coming up, what perfect timing to make these super easy and quick air fryer coconut shrimp!
SO… what will you need to make these air fryer coconut shrimp?
- Coconut or All Purpose Flour
- Shredded Coconut
- Smoked Paprika
- Chile Lime Seasoning
- And a few optional toppings/dips!
Can I make any substitutions or add more ingredients?
- Coconut Flour: for this recipe, coconut, all-purpose or gluten free all-purpose flour will work. I have not tested with any other flour but I would assume that they would work well! I do not recommend panko crumbs.
- Eggs: you can replace with 4 egg whites whisked together with a splash of water
- Chile lime seasoning: you can replace this with 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and a squeeze of lime on the coconut shrimp after they are out of the air fryer
Serving the coconut shrimp:
I would recommend to serve these immediately. They are best served fresh. If you want to make these ahead of time, make them without cooking and store in the fridge or freezer and air fry once ready. If you have leftover, I would recommend reheating the shrimp in the air fryer or oven, as the microwave may cause them to get slightly soggy.
What to pair with the coconut shrimp:
I love to add fresh chopped cilantro or parsley on top of the shrimp and a squeeze of lime juice. As for the dips, I would recommend sweet chili sauce. Even better, mix sweet chili sauce with some Greek yogurt for a creamy and delicious dipping option!
Need more appetizer ideas? Check these out!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later:
Shop this post:
Shop my favorites: HERE!
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup flour all-purpose or coconut
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chile lime seasoning (optional) see notes
- chopped cilantro
- sweet chili sauce
- If not already done, peel and devein the shrimp. They can be tail on or off
- Set up three bowls. In bowl #1, mix together flour and smoked paprika. In bowl #2, whisk together the two eggs. In bowl #3, mix together shredded coconut and chile lime seasoning (or more smoked paprika)
- Spray the air fryer basket with an oil spray. Make sure you spray well to prevent sticking.
- Take one shrimp and coat it evenly in the flour, then the egg mixture and finally the shredded coconut mix. Place in the air fryer. Repeat this for each shrimp until the air fryer is full (depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches)
- Spray the tops with oil spray. Air fry at 360 for 9-10 minutes or until crispy.
- Carefully remove the shrimp from the basket and serve with fresh cilantro on top and sweet chili sauce to dip!
- If you do not have access to chile lime seasoning, replace with 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika. Add a squeeze of lime to the coconut shrimp after they are out of the air fryer.
- I have not tested it in the oven yet so I do not have a temperature or time.
- Nutrition is based off the total ingredients, not the actual amount used. You will have leftover.