These vegan and gluten free chunky monkey baked oatmeal cups are a delicious and healthy easy breakfast or snack to make, full of chocolate, banana and walnuts! They are perfect to prep ahead of time to take on the go or for a quick afternoon snack.
This post may contain affiliate links.
These chunky monkey baked oatmeal cups are a spin off of my class carrot cake baked oat cups. I used the same base but changed up the flavor profile. These muffin-like cups have a mix of banana, chocolate and walnuts for a combination to die for. It is the perfect mix of salty and sweet for a fiber-rich breakfast on the go or afternoon snack. You will definitely want to prep these for your week ahead!
Even better, these baked oatmeal cups can also be made into baked oatmeal bars or squares! Instead of using a muffin tin, you can easily use a 13×9 pan for bars or an 8×8 pan for baked oatmeal squares.
SO… what will you need to make the chunky monkey baked oatmeal cups?
- Oats & Oat Flour
- Mashed Banana
- Maple Syrup
- Dairy Free Yogurt
- Milk of Choice
- Baking Powder & Soda
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Walnuts
Which kind of chocolate should you use?
There are so many different types of chocolate you could use here but these are my absolute favorite and I would highly recommend!
- Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
- Lily’s Sweets Chocolate Chips
- Hu Kitchen Baking Gems
- Jojo’s Peanut Butter Chocolate (cut up!)
How long can I store these for?
These last up to 1 week stored in a well sealed container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze up to 6 months.
Can I make any substitutions or add more ingredients?
- Oats: I have made this recipe with steel cut, old fashioned, quick and irish – all have worked! However, if you use another kind, I do not know if the timing or texture will be off.
- Ripe banana: this makes the oatmeal extra creamy and provides a that extremely moist texture. Feel free to replace with about 1/3 cup applesauce or coconut oil.
- Maple syrup: you can replace with honey or any other liquid sweetener. If you want a sweeter cup, add 1-3 more tablespoons. You can omit for a less sweet cup.
- Yogurt: I used dairy free to keep this recipe vegan but any plain or vanilla yogurt will work.
- Milk: I used almond milk to keep this recipe vegan but any kind of milk will work.
- Walnuts: If you are allergic, feel free to omit the walnuts or replace with another chopped nut or seed.
Need more oatmeal recipes? Check these out!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later:
Shop this post:
Shop my favorites: HERE!
Chunky Monkey Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Muffin Tin
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 banana mashed
- 1/4 cup dairy free yogurt sub regular yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk sub any kind of milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup sub honey
- 1 cup oat flour see notes
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- While the oven is preheating, mash the banana in a mixing bowl and then add the yogurt, milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract together.
- Mix together oat flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl. Then mix in the wet ingredients until well combined
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Lightly spray the muffin tray with coconut oil or use cupcake liners. Then fill each muffin with about 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake at 350 for about 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- You can use store bought oat flour or simply blend regular oats until a flour consistency is formed
- Substitute your favorite mix-ins