Sweet and spicy hawaiian BBQ turkey burgers that are super easy and delicious that are gluten free, dairy free and can be made paleo. If you are looking to switch up the flavor profile of your dishes, this summer recipe is most definitely for you!
This post may contain affiliate links.
When it comes to cooking, I love to make similar base recipes and switch up the flavor. Every summer I feel like I get on a turkey burger kick. I used to always just buy the premade ones from Trader Joe’s until I realized that not only are they incredibly easy to make, but you can customize the flavors when you make them yourself. If you haven’t checked out my latest turkey burger combination, my Tex Mex Turkey Burgers, then make sure you check those out for two different options!
Now back to these Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Burgers. The flavor in these are UNREAL! Think sweet meets salty with sneaky hidden vegetables. Inside each turkey burger you have a few fresh vegetables, a tang from the BBQ sauce and the sweet from the fresh grilled pineapple. Not to mention incredible flavor from the onion, garlic and sesame. Trust me, these turkey burgers will be crowd pleasers no matter where you go. It is such an easy way to stray away from the typical, boring (yet delicious) burgers.
SO… what will I need to make Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Burgers?
- Lean Ground Turkey
- Red Bell Pepper
- Sesame Seed Oil
- BBQ Sauce
- Coconut Aminos
- Garlic Powder
- Red Onion
- Pineapple Rings
- Sesame Seeds
What to serve with Turkey Burgers:
While you can enjoy turkey burgers without anything else, I am here to share some of my favorite toppings and bun ideas for you! These are so customizable to being enjoyed as simply as possible or as hard core as you want!
Here are some creative bun ideas:
- Sesame seed buns
- Gluten free buns (Trader Joe’s makes my favorite!)
- Brioche buns for a bigger, bolder and richer taste
- Lettuce wraps for a lighter meal or if you love that crisp for the romaine
- Wraps for another creative way to enjoy, as you can even wrap it around and press it like a panini
Can I make burgers without a grill?
A fun fact is that I made these turkey burgers inside on a pancake skillet. While I would prefer a grill, my new apartment has one grill shared by the entire 20-story building so I will be getting creative on the indoor grilling recipes! You can use a skillet or saute pan but you will not get the grill marks everyone loves. It still will taste the same and have the same texture! Additionally, you could bake these at 375 for 20 minutes, flipping half way or even air fry them! If want to get fancy, you can easily find a grill pan or a mini grill to have indoors.
Can I freeze burgers?
I love to make a big batch of burgers to freeze. They are perfect to defrost for a later date and can be stored in a freezer for up to 6 months for the best quality. To freeze properly, I like to individually wrap my burgers in cling wrap, making sure to cover completely. Then store the individually wrapped burgers in a freezer safe bag or container.
Can I make any substitutions or add more ingredients?
- Lean Ground Turkey: Any ground meat or plant-based ground meat substitute can be used
- Onion and Garlic: If you are low FODMAP, feel free to leave both of these ingredients out.
- Pineapple: I highly recommend the grilled pineapple but fresh pineapple would work as well. If you want to get fancy, dice the pineapple, red onion, scallions and some avocado together for a salsa topping!
- Jalapeno: optional to leave out if you want else spice
- Coconut Aminos: substitute soy sauce or tamari
Need more summer recipes? Check these out!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later:
Shop this post:
Shop my favorites: HERE!
Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Burgers
- Grill Pan/Grill
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/4 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 jalapeno finely chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos sub soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 pineapple rings
- sesame seeds
- red onion sliced
- 1 stalk green onion chopped
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, chopped red bell pepper, chopped jalapeno, sesame oil, BBQ sauce, coconut aminos and garlic powder.
- Once well combined, separate into 5 even pieces. Form each piece into a patty about 3/4-1 inch thick.
- Grill on each side on medium heat for 5 minutes. If using a grill pan on the stove top, spray the pan with a neutral oil prior to cooking
- Top with pineapple rings, sliced red onion, chopped green, sriracha and optional bun!