These healthy and extra fluffy banana pancakes are made with only five simple ingredients, no dairy, gluten or added sugar. This is the easiest breakfast to make fresh or prep ahead. Plus the pancakes are super customizable to change up for different flavor combinations!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Hello Saturday plans! These super easy fluffy banana pancakes are the best breakfast I can think of. Especially today being a gloomy and rainy day in Philadelphia, I am ready to cozy up to these warm stacks of joy. This recipe makes two servings but it can easily be halved for a single serving or doubled to feed a crowd.
When it comes to pancakes I used to be so intimidated because I could never master the flip and just stuck to the classic waffles because I had to do the bear minimum. When it comes to flipping pancakes, here are a few tips I have learned along the way:
- Low to medium heat and nothing more: pancakes are definitely a slow and steady process. If you try to speed it up by increasing the heat, you’ll end up with a raw center, crispy outsides and a difficult time flipping.
- The timing to flip is not based on actual time: you want to look for those little bubbles that form on the top and the sides to firm up to flip the pancakes
- Patience is key: flipping to soon will yield a pancake that is not fully formed
- Make sure the skillet/pan is HOT before adding pancakes
SO… what will you need to make these fluffy banana pancakes?
- Oat Flour
- Almond Flour
- Baking Soda
- Toppings of Choice
Customize the Batter:
- Chocolate Chips
- Shredded Coconut
- Chopped Walnuts
- Protein – add a scoop of protein + some water/milk!
Customize the Toppings:
- Shaved Chocolate
- Fresh Fruit (berries, banana slices, pomegranates, sauteed apples, pears, mango)
- Honey or Maple Syrup
- Yogurt (Greek, dairy free or regular)
- Nuts (chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, pecans)
- Drizzle Nut/Seed Butter (peanut, almond, cashew, sunflower, etc.)
Can I freeze these pancakes?
Yes – you can freeze these in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 6 months. TIP: keep them separated with wax or parchment paper to prevent them from freezing together.
Can I make any substitutions or add more ingredients?
- Banana: You could use 3/4 cup applesauce
- Oat Flour: You could substitute 1:1 with regular or gluten free flour, as well as protein powder
- Almond Flour: I have not tested this recipe with a substitute
- Egg: I have not tested this recipe with a flax or chia egg but I would imagine that you would be able to. You can substitute the 2 eggs with 4 egg whites (whisked well)
Need more breakfast recipes? Check these out!
- Easy Cinnamon Apple Blender Pancakes
- Healthy Banana Bread French Toast
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Mini Muffins
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later:
Shop this post:
Shop my favorites: HERE!
Fluffy Banana Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup oat flour see notes
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- fresh berries
- shaved chocolate
- nuts (walnuts, pecans, slivered almonds, etc.)
- Warm a skillet on medium heat (be sure to not be above this) with coconut oil spray
- If mixing with a blender, add all ingredients and blend until smooth or the banana is a little chunky (up to your preference).
- If mixing by hand, start by mashing the banana and whisk in the egg. Then add the oat flour, almond flour and baking soda.
- Once the skillet is hot, add 2-4 tbsp of the batter to the skillet (depending on the size of pancake you want). Wait for the outsides of the pancakes to form and bubbles to rise in the middle to flip. This should be around 3-4 minutes.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on the flipped side and repeat for each pancake. May take you more than 2 rounds, depending on the size of your skillet.
- Serve with toppings and enjoy!
- I used premade oat flour but you can make your own by blending oats in a high speed blender. 1 cup of whole oats tends to yield about 2/3 cup oat flour.
- I have not tested this recipe with a flax egg
- Make sure you are using a ripe banana
- Oat flour may be substituted for regular or gluten free all purpose flour