Cinnamon, spice and everything nice is the motto for this healthy banana bread french toast. Breakfast never looked better if you ask me! This recipe is dairy free and can be made gluten free with gluten free bread.
This post may contain affiliate links.
A lighter take on french toast featuring subtle a sweetness from sauteing the bananas, a sense of warmth from the spices & a crispy outside. Yet, extremely soft, pillowy on the inside. If you ask me, this is the most perfect texture combination. Next time someone tells you french toast cannot be healthy, think again. This healthy banana bread french toast is not only a hearty and delicious breakfast, but it is packed full of flavor. No flavor sacrifices over here!
Let’s talk substitutions!
- Sourdough: this meal can easily be made gluten free with your favorite gluten free sourdough or bread of choice. If using frozen, make sure it is thawed out or at least refrigerator temperature. My favorite sourdough is either the San Francisco Style Sourdough from Trader Joe’s or Wegman’s Organic Sourdough. As for gluten free, I love Canyon Bakehouse!
- Almond milk: you can easily replace with regular milk, soy, oat, etc. If you are using a vanilla flavored milk, disregard the splash of vanilla
- Coconut oil: I love sauteing bananas in coconut oil flavor wise, but melted butter would work as well.
- Egg whites: you can replace with 1 egg
Check out these other delicious recipes:
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later:
Shop my favorites: HERE!
Ready for make some healthy banana bread french toast?!
Healthy Banana Bread French Toast
- 4 pieces of sourdough sub gluten free if needed
- 4 egg whites sub 2 whole eggs
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Toppings of choice
- Start by heating coconut oil over low/med heat in a saute pan or skillet
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp. of the banana (mashed), egg whites, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Generously drench each piece of bread on both sides in the egg/milk mixture.
- Place each piece of toast in skillet and coat on each side for roughly 3-4 minutes.
- In same pan/skillet, add sliced bananas in with coconut oil and a dash of cinnamon. Coat for roughly 1-2 minutes on each side
- Add french toast and caramelized bananas to a plate and add toppings of choice. My favorite is this roasted cinnamon pecan butter, walnuts and maple syrup