Okay, these marshmallow sweet potato bites will be your newest addiction. They are so easy to make, require only 4 ingredients and are the perfect healthy appetizer, snack or side dish. This recipe is gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Have you ever tried purple sweet potatoes? I am a huge sweet potato fan and typically I buy the classic orange kind because they are more commonly found. However, when I come across the purple kind, I always pick one or two up to change things up! Even though I used purple sweet potatoes in this recipe, you can easily use orange sweet potatoes as well. But trust me, you’ll want to get your hands on purple sweet potatoes! I have found them Assi, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and Wegman’s. Check your local retailer to see if they have any in stock!
What’s the difference between purple and orange sweet potatoes?
Both of these sweet potatoes are packed full of similar vitamins (like Vitamin A!!) and minerals, however the difference comes down to the amount of each. Orange sweet potatoes are higher in carotenoids, which give them that orange color. Purple sweet potatoes are higher in anthocyanins, which give them the vibrant purple flesh. Purple sweet potatoes also tend to be creamier in consistency and have a sweeter taste profile, making them perfect for dishes like this! You may have also heard the term “ube” when it comes to purple sweet potatoes as well.
SO… what will you need to make these marshmallow sweet potato bites?
- Mini Marshmallows (if vegan, use a brand such as Dandies)
- Large Purple Sweet Potato
- Coconut Oil
Do you need purple sweet potato for this recipe?
Nope! Either purple or orange sweet potatoes will work in this recipe!
Can I make any substitutions or add more ingredients?
- Sweet potato: either purple or orange sweet potatoes will work for this recipe. Best results will be finding an even sweet potato so that the coined slices will be similar in size.
- Mini marshmallows: you can use any brand of mini marshmallows or if you have only regular size, cut in half and place cut side down on top of the sweet potato slice
- Cinnamon: you can use any sweet spice combination of preference! I added pumpkin pie spice mix to one batch and they turned out delicious.
- Coconut oil: I would suggest coconut oil spray over any other oil as it is on the sweeter side. If you do not have any, substitute with a neutral flavor spray or oil.
Need more vegan sweet recipes? Check these out!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later:
Shop this post:
Shop my favorites: HERE!
Ready to get cooking?!
Marshmallow Sweet Potato Bites
- Baking Sheet Pan
- 2-3 large purple sweet potatoes about 1 lb.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups mini marshmallows more or less depending on bite sizes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Start by peeling your sweet potatoes and slice into 1/4 inch slices. Make sure that your sweet potatoes are similar in diameter to ensure even cooking time.
- Toss the sliced sweet potatoes, coconut oil and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Mix until each slice is evenly coated
- Lay sliced sweet potatoes flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If not using anything between the sweet potatoes and the pan or using aluminum foil, spray with coconut oil prior to placing sweet potatoes on the tray.
- Roast sweet potatoes at 425 for 15 minutes
- After 25 minutes, remove from oven, flip sweet potatoes over and add mini marshmallows on the tops of each slice. Optional, add more cinnamon on top or chopped pecans too!
- Roast for 5 more minutes and if you want an additional brown on the top, broil for 1 minute (be very careful, as marshmallows can burn easily!)