You will be obsessed with these health no bake cookie dough bars! They are made with a sneaky ingredient that you would never believe. These bars are high in protein, gluten free, vegan and low in sugar. You will only need 5 simple ingredients and they are ready in no time!
This post may contain affiliate links
Anyone else not want to turn on the oven when the heat comes back? While we have air conditioning, I love to enjoy something cold after being outside in the sun. There is something so refreshing about a cold dessert or snack, even though it is a heavenly slice of cookie dough. I wish I could tell you that it is full of vitamins and minerals like a smoothie but we all know there is a time and a place for both. I was the child who would sneak cookie dough from the freezer without my parents knowing so this recipe was a must to create. And if you are like me, I do not have the biggest sweet tooth but I do love a little something sweet!
Okay so let’s get into these healthy no bake cookie dough bars! They are made without any eggs, flour, butter or refined sugar. So… after reading that statement you are probably shaking your head saying “how do you get the cookie dough then??” Well I will tell you! And before I lose you, make sure to read the whole thing and remember the statement “never judge a book by its cover”.
The Secret Ingredient:
Are you ready for this? The secret ingredient is… CHICKPEAS! Yup, you read that correctly. Chickpeas! When you blend chickpeas into a smooth consistency, they are the perfect texture for cookie dough and have a super mild taste so mixed with natural sugar, vanilla and creamy nut butter, you have absolutely no chickpea taste. Chickpeas also act as a great “binder” so that these bars stay together. If you wanted, you would be able to bake these bars without they falling apart! Now if you want the creamiest texture, I should suggest removing the skins of the chickpeas. This will definitely add to the time and test your patience, but the texture is unmatched. If I am not feeling it, I will just make sure that I blend extra long to truly ensure I have gotten the texture perfected!
How do I make healthy no bake cookie dough bars?
- Cashew Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Chocolate Chips
How long do they last in the freezer?
Store these in a sealed container for up to 6 months in the freezer or 1 month in the refrigerator. These are best the closer to the day they were made but given the ingredients they are made out of, they last a long time!
What is the best vegan chocolate?
Here are a few of my favorite vegan chocolates!
Can I make any substitutions or add more ingredients?
- Cashew Butter: I love making these with cashew butter for a “cookie dough” flavor but you can use any nut or seed butter for this recipe.
- Maple syrup: Any liquid sugar will work 1:1. You can replace with granular sugar but may need less coconut flavor.
- Applesauce: You can replace with mashed banana, coconut oil, greek yogurt or even pumpkin puree (which would result in a different flavor!)
- Chocolate: You can use dairy chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate. Any solidified chocolate will work.
Need more no bake dessert recipes? Check these out!
- Homemade Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispies
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter and Banana Pretzels
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later:
Shop this post:
Shop my favorites: HERE!
Healthy No Bake Cookie Dough Bars
- 8×8 Freezer Safe Pan
- Food Processor
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup cashew butter sub any nut/seed butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz applesauce equals one single serve container
- 1/4 cup maple syrup sub agave or honey
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- sea salt optional
- Using a food processor or high speed blender, add in the chickpeas (rinsed and drained), cashew butter and applesauce. Blend until completely smooth. You may have to scrape down the sides a few times. Then Add in 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips and pulse a few times, just to mix in the chocolate chips
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and add the cookie dough mixture. Press down the cookie dough so that it is even and level.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the remaining 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring each time until melted. This should be about 1 1/2 minutes. If you remove the chocolate and there are only a few chunks, keep stirring and do not place back into the microwave. They will melt!
- Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the cookie dough mixture. You may need a spatula to spread evenly.
- Freeze for at least an hour before cutting into squares or bars. Once set, cut with a sharp knife and store in the freezer or fridge!