These vegan funfetti cake donuts are super cute and FUN to make! They are made with only a few simple ingredients and a donut pan. Be sure to read through for any substitutions. These are vegan, dairy free, low in sugar and easily made gluten free.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Happy Faschnaut Day! Have you ever celebrated it or heard about it? Every year growing up we would celebrate both that, Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras. So in case you are lost, here’s a little summary!
All of these holidays are celebrated the day before Lent. Lent is a Catholic event that lasts until Easter and starts on Ash Wednesday. Fastnachts are specifically famous in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, which is about an hour and a half from me. Unlike regular donuts, Fastnachts do not have a hole in the center and are generally larger. Going off of that, Mardi Gras is also a day to celebrating before the start of the “fast” of Lent. It is meant to essentially go crazy the day before!
So in honor of all of the above, I made these vegan funfetti cake donuts more traditional style with the hole in the middle (opposed to fastnachts) and added sprinkles for that extra celebration touch.
SO… what will you need to make the vegan funfetti cake donuts?
- All purpose flour
- Milk of choice
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Baking soda
- Powdered sugar
How do I make this gluten free?
How long can I store these for?
You can keep these in a sealed container for up to a week in the refrigerator. You can also store these in the freezer in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 6 months. To heat them up, pop into the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Can I make any substitutions or add more ingredients?
- Flour: I would only recommend all purpose or gluten free all purpose. You could try oat flour 1:1 but any other flour would need measurement adjustments
- Milk: I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk but any milk, dairy free or not, will work.
- Maple syrup: You can replace with any liquid sugar
- Powdered sugar: If can replace with monk fruit powdered sugar but use only 1/3 cup. You can also use yogurt for a less sugary glaze!
Need more dessert recipes? Check these out!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later:
Shop this post:
Shop my favorites: HERE!
Vegan Funfetti Cake Donuts
- Donut Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup all-purpose flour substitute gluten free all-purpose
- 1/2 cup almond milk substitute any milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- splash of milk to mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Whisk together all ingredients except flour
- Add the flour into the wet ingredient mixture and gently mix. Add 1/2 of the sprinkles to the batter and fold in.
- Using a spatula, put the batter in a piping bag or a ziploc bag and use a pair of scissors to cut one corner open. Pipe the batter in the donut pan, or gently pipe into a donut shape on a baking tray
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely before adding glaze.
- While the donuts bake and cool, whisk together the glaze ingredients and then dip the donuts in the bowl of glaze and add the rest of the sprinkles to the top.
- If making gluten free, I recommend either Bob’s Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour or Cup for Cup 1:1 gluten free baking flour.
- Can omit sprinkles
- Any milk will work